Warm weather drives Belgian wine production skyward
The lack of rain and soaring temperatures were problematic for many Flemish farmers last year, but winegrowers saw a boom in production
Two million litres
Belgium’s 134 vineyards bottled a total of two million litres of wine last year compared to one million the year before. “It was a remarkably good harvest,” said federal economy minister Kris Peeters. “The wine industry is dependent on the quality of the grapes and the climate in which they grow.”
A small majority of the volume of wine comes from Wallonia, while Flanders counts a slightly larger number of vineyards. Most Belgian wines – some 80% – are white and sparkling varieties. The other 20% include both red and rose.
Some vineyards in Limburg fall under the EU’s Protected Designation of Origin label, ensuring quality production in the region indicated. “That has a positive effect on wine production,” said Peeters.
Anyone looking for a good Belgian wine can start with the website Popsss, which features wines from Belgium and from other vineyards in the world run by Belgians.
Photo courtesy Visit Limburg